Movie theaters are slowly reopening across the nation. Are you going? Did you get your Covid-19 vaccine? If not, maybe you want to go in the morning when nobody is else is going? I went twice because one of our local theaters has been open for quite a while, one time I was the only person in the theater, the second time there was a couple but the were sitting far away. I always go to the first showing assuming that some cleaning had been done overnight. I am not so sure that all those advertised cleaning promises will take place when it’s more busy in the afternoon or evening.
So let’s assume you actually want to go out for a classic first date! Seeing a flick is always a great option. Your first date out together should be fun, thought provoking, and enjoyable. The process should be easy and relaxing as well. When it comes time to decide on which film you will watch then it shouldn’t have to be a hassle. Sorting through all the options, cinemas, and ratings can seem like a big problem. Here are three questions to ask before deciding on a good movie for a date.
1.) Where should I start?
Seeing a film should be a relaxing activity before, during, and after. Deciding on which one to see requires that you have some basic information available or on hand. For example, which movies are even still out in theaters right now? Many blockbusters have been postponed. What options do I have right now? Check this out:
- Your circle of friends: The people you regularly hang out with or work with will often have similar taste in films as you do. You may discuss what you did over the weekend and/or which recent films you have seen. If you get a good recommendation from a friend you are likely to be pleasantly surprised when you take it into consideration.
- Movie review sites: If you don’t quite trust the opinions of your closest buddies or if your taste is wildly different than most people around you, using a movie review site could help. Checking out ratings and critic reviews is a good way to sort out which films will be perfect for your night out.
- Weekly local zines: A weekly zine is typically available in bigger towns or cities and tends to highlight all the activities in the local area for that week. They will also tend to have movie review sections complete with times, ticketing information, and critical reviews from both local critics and audience members.
2.) What type of movie should you see?
There are too many types of genres to list out in this article. However, some genres are currently more popular than others. Right now sci-fi films, comic book based films, and horror are all trending heavily though a horror movie might not be the best choice for a first date (unless you are hoping your date is so scared that she will bury her head in your chest).
- Sci-fi films: Very popular, but not many choices at the moment because of Covid. Taking powerful questions that our current society is dealing with and projecting their potential problems into future scenarios seems to be a good way to make a hit film these days.
- Comic book based films: Marvel and DC comics continue to put out flicks that expand on pre-existing storylines in various super hero comic books but all the interesting stuff (Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Wanda / Vision, Justice League Zack Snyder Cut) is not on the big screen.
- Horror- The genre of horror is expanding into sub-genres that move away fro the typical monster or slasher film. Today, immensely creative psychological thrillers are gaining popularity. Godzilla VS. Kong is coming soon, who is up for it?
3) Which one is the best movie theater?
The Regal will reopen soon, Cinemark theaters have been open for a while, Customers are demanding more from their cinemas. With ticket prices as high as they are, movie goers demand a quality viewing experience for their hard earned money.
- Recliner seating: Some movies offer that “at home/in couch” experience you would get if you stayed home and watched a film on your own big screen.
- Movie grill: Other cinemas prefer to cater to your desires for fresh craft brewed beer and delicious food served right to you as you watch your film.
Covid-19 is scary but with the right precautions and being mindful while at the theater you can still enjoy a wonderful movie date. Be safe, stay healthy!